GENTLE GIANT

Habe mal die "Octopus" besessen.
Bis auf eine recht angenehme Nummer ist nie etwas hängen geblieben.
Oftmals hat sich das Ganze angehört, als ob die Musiker gegeneinander gespielt haben.
Da kann ich ja gleich Free Jazz auflegen...
Wahrscheinlich ist mein musikalischer Horizont für so einen Sound zu begrenzt.
Also mit Free Jazz hat das echt nichts zu tun, dafür sind die Kompositionen viel zu durchstrukturiert...
Aber dass es nicht sofort hängenbleibt, kann ich schon verstehen, hat anfangs bei mir auch etwas gedauert.

Hab die letzten Tage noch mal die meisten Alben gehört und in meiner Erinnerung gefielen mir "Free Hand" und "In'terview" irgendwie besser, während "The Missing Piece" eigentlich doch noch richtig gut ist und nicht weit hinter seinem Vorgänger. "Acquiring The Taste" hat auch letzt erst so richtig gezündet (obwohl ich die schon seit Jahren habe), sehr geile Scheibe, teils auch noch mit nem düsteren Hardrock-Vibe.

Im Moment wäre die Reihenfolge der Studioalben der Band bei mir wohl so:

1. The Power And The Glory 9/10
  2. Octopus 9/10
  3. Acquiring The Taste 9/10
  4. Three Friends 8,5/10
  5. Free Hand 8,5/10
  6. In A Glass House 8/10
  7. In'terview 8/10
  8. The Missing Piece 8/10
  9. Gentle Giant 7,5/10
Keine volle Punktzahl, da ich dann doch die besten Alben von Bands wie KING CRIMSON, MAGMA, GENESIS, YES etc. noch mal eine Ecke besser finde.
Insgesamt finde ich inzwischen tatsächlich das Live-Album "Playing The Fool" am besten! Super Songauswahl und wirklich jedes Stück gefällt mir in diesen Live-Versionen noch besser als die Studioaufnahmen! Das Album bekäme dann bei mir wohl 9,5 - 10/10.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Ach ja, braucht zufällig noch jemand das Debüt auf CD? Das hab ich ja noch mit "Three Friends" zusammen als Doppel-LP, daher ist die CD inzwischen überflüssig geworden.
Ist wie neu, würde 5,- Euro dafür haben wollen.

Gentle Giant
Unburied Treasure (boxset pre-order)

Including a lavish 136-page coffee table hardback book and 96-page tour history book, Unburied Treasure is a 30-disc deluxe boxset with signed photo, authorised by all members of Gentle Giant.

Strictly limited to 2000 copies globally, the set includes remastered versions of the 12 albums the band released between 1970 and 1980, along with 15 concert albums (7 never previously released, 7 never previously officially released and 1 previously unavailable on CD). The box also includes two posthumous live/outtakes albums and a Blu-ray bonus disc (featuring a Steven Wilson surround mix of the band’s 1970 debut).

Also included are books, posters, replica promotional items and much more.

https://burningshed.com/gentle-giant_buried-treasure_boxset

Wird sowas von gekauft!

Eigentlich kauf ich ja sowas, aber das ist dann ja doch ein ziemlicher Brocken...
Zumindest wahrscheinlich, dass man die auch noch etwas länger bekommt.

Eigentlich kauf ich ja sowas, aber das ist dann ja doch ein ziemlicher Brocken...

Dachte ich auch. Wenn man das mal mit den üppigen KC-Boxen vergleicht. Und bei Gentle Giant liegen die ganzen Remaster schon vor. Selbst die Bruford-Box mit 20+ CDs hat unlängst nicht mal 120€ gekostet.

~10€ pro CD ist dann doch eine ganze Menge.
In der Weihnachtszeit lasse ich mir ja eigentlich auch viel gefallen. Aber da bin ich noch unschlüssig.

Hast Dir mal den Preis angeschaut.

Pfff, Preise sind relativ.

Den Stoff werd ich bis an mein Lebensende hören können.

Ein Abendessen beim Italiener kostet mich die Hälfte des Preises, ist aber nach maximal 48 Stunden wieder ausgeschieden.

Ergo: ich spare!!!

Außerdem kommt ja dann noch das Jethro Tull Buch....

Gentle-Giant-box-photo-square-1500.jpg

JPC Preis ist runter auf 290€

Ich finde es übrigens bedauerlich, dass man nicht auf die Bonusmaterialien und die Mixe der zwei Steve Wilson-Releases zurückgegriffen hat, um das teure Boxset möglichst umfassend zu machen.

Unboxing video:

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Was laut einem Fan fehlt:

Three piece suite 5.1 and instrumental mixes

Wilson 5.1 and instrumental mixes of octopus and power and the glory (also aspirations instrumental outtake)

Free hand and interview quad mixes

Majority of tracks from under construction (I am presuming the live tracks are from some of those playing the fool shows)

All tracks from scraping the barrel cds. (Live in Torino and Live from pinewood from data disc here on cd and in the correct I presume order compared with its release on memories of old days)

All studio tracks from memories of old days (some live stuff from there)

7” edits, intro tape and peel session from I lost my head boxset.

Vorabreview:

I’ll be reviewing the Giant box, btw. Without wanting to dwell to long on it, not only was I able to convince Madfish to provide me with one of its very few promo copies (largely thanks to the Wishbone Ash box review I did last year) and for which I am truly grateful, I actually received my copy yesterday. While I’m just starting to get into it (and have to focus more, right now, on the ITCOTCK 50th and an electronic advance of Sid Smith’s so-far-marvellous revision/expansion of In the Court of King Crimson), my initial comments: all albums have been remastered and I definitely think they’re the best sounding stereo CD versions around (barring SW’s remixes); SW’s new stereo mix (included, along with surround sound, both in high res, in the Blu Ray) of the band’s 1970 debut is as revealing as ever, and an interesting contrast to the new master on the CD, which is from the original mix (and has its own revelations). The live material ranges in quality from cleaned-up-as-best-as-possible audience recordings to pretty darn high fidelity board (or, perhaps...I’ve not yet read in the book, multi-track) tapes, but quality be damned, as this box makes it possible to hear one or more show from every year, starting in 1971 and every year through 1980, with the exception of 1978 & ‘79, so you can really hear how live versions evolved over the years...and they did, indeed, evolve. It was surprising to me (I didn’t follow the band’s bootlegs, so was only familiar with official releases, Hux BBC releases, etc) to see some early songs last much farther than I thought, like “Plain Truth,” which was rehearsed in 1977, though doesn’t show up in either show, and that a latter-day fave, “As Old As You’re Young,” doesn’t show up in the ‘77 shows but was rehearsed. So much to read: not just one book, but two - the hardcover, more biographical/historical one, and a lengthy softcover that documents the band’s many tours.

My first impression is that it’s exactly what the committee GG fan would want. By remaastering original mixes (but including a new SW one also), without any extras that were often included on previous versions, it means fans don’t feel ripped off as those older ones with bonus material are still relevant; and while the ‘77 rehearsal seems duplicated from prior releases, for example, I’m not sure yet if they’re the exact same rehearsal takes, as there are differences in track lengths that suggest maybe not (but I’ve yet to have time to do a compare/contrast); and, barring the ‘71 show, a lot of the live stuff is either previously unreleased or never before on CD.

Meaning that, for me, most of my earlier Giant releases do not go to waste. Instead, between earlier remasters with bonus tracks, the SW remixes and, now, this box, I’ve got pretty much everything I’ll ever want to hear. Once I’ve reviewed the box, I’ll likely take the bonus material from earlier album releases and append them to the box set remasters in iTunes so everything is collected together in playlists. I can see myself listening to these remasters alternatively to the SW mixes, whereas with many of the SW reissues, I find myself getting rid of earlier versions. I don’t know if this argument makes sense, but while there is duplication of original release material, by not including dupes of the older version bonus tracks, it means the box set is an addition, rather than a replacement...though, for the rare buyer who is new to GG, they do get the benefit of all the commercial albums.

But for everyone, in addition to all the printed material (plus a few fun extras), 17 cds of live material plus a new SW remix make it pretty darn good value for money (vs, for example, the Floyd Later Years box, which I’ll also be reviewing), even if you have other versions of their commercial releases. At least, that’s my first take.

One question, though (and it may be answered in the book): did they subsequently find the rest of the tracks from Gentle Giant or were the three tracks included on Three Piece Suite, from a couple years back, there because, since full multitracks couldn’t be found for Acquiring the Taste & Three Friends, a conceptual decision was made, then, to include them to make that release a suite of early Giant material (and, I think, one that works very well)? Just curious. But, that said, it’s still very nice to have one more SW mix of another GG album.

Anyway, my initial recommendation is: if you want to hear how the band really evolved as a live act, you can’t to better than this box and, for that alone, it comes highly recommended...and that’s before I do the big review that y’all know is coming. And for those who either don’t like or haven’t felt compelled to pick up the SW remixes, these remasters do sound, on very initial listens, to be the best I’ve heard.

Grad im neuen ‚Eclipsed’ das Interview mit Derek Shulman gelesen und bei dem Gedanken an das Box-Set wieder ganz feucht geworden. Ist das mittlerweile eigentlich komplett vergriffen, wie in dem Inti angedeutet? Hat sich das hier jemand gegönnt?

Grad im neuen ‚Eclipsed’ das Interview mit Derek Shulman gelesen und bei dem Gedanken an das Box-Set wieder ganz feucht geworden. Ist das mittlerweile eigentlich komplett vergriffen, wie in dem Inti angedeutet? Hat sich das hier jemand gegönnt?

Im April werden noch mal 1000 Stück aufgelegt. Preis wird wieder bei ca 300 € liegen.

Zurück
Oben Unten