The ProgJect

TillManiak

Till Deaf Do Us Part
Members of Saga, Spock's Beard, Marillion and more unite in ProgJect

5QWWawomdTwoiPjtzyv2mW-1024-80.jpg.webp

Former Marillion and GTR drummer Jonathan Mover has put together the ultimate superstar prog covers band, ProgJect, featuring Saga frontman Michael Sadler, Ryo Okomutu from Spock's Beard, Sound Of Contact's Matt Dorsey and former Saigon Kick man Jason Bieler. You can watch a teaser video of the project in action below.

"Prog Rock is the reason I play drums," Mover explains, who was inspired by a stint touring with Genesis tribute band The Musical Box: “I haven't had that much fun onstage in a long time and was reminded of the reason I began drumming in the first place– prog rock. Playing songs like Robbery, Assault And Battery, Dance on A Volcano, Wot Gorilla, Watcher Of The Skies and Back In NYC had me feeling fifteen again and relit the very same fire I felt when I first picked up sticks."

Next thought; "What if I put together 'The Ultimate Prog Rock Experience', with top players, and pay homage to our favourite prog giants: Genesis, Yes, ELP and King Crimson, along with some Pink Floyd, Rush, Peter Gabriel, U.K., Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and more?" The seeds were sown.

The ProgJect have come up with a two-plus hour set that includes prog classics and epics such as Squonk, Cinema Show, Firth Of Fifth, Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression Pt. I & II, Siberian Khatru, Roundabout, Heart Of The Sunrise, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Lark's Tongues In Aspic, Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Have A Cigar, Solsbury Hill, Living In The Past and more...

The group began rehearsal in late September, 2019, and was set to embark on a two-dozen date run from Northeast Canada, down the East Coast and across to the Midwest… and then came Covid.

Sixteen months later, ProgJect is back in full-production rehearsals, modifying the set and preparing for their first official tour, starting April, 2022.

Michael Sadler covert Gabriel Genesis - das kann nur episch und ergreifend werden - mit Gentle Giant wohl sein Haupteinfluss und Inspiration Musiker zu werden. Das wird keine halbe Sache - gesangstechnisch auf jeden Fall!

Ich fühl mich schon etwas überfüttert von den ganzen Supergroups... aber das hier könnte tatsächlich interessant werden.
Wundert mich ja, dass Mike Portnoy nicht am Start ist. Vielleicht hat er's ja versucht, aber da Jonathan Mover als Drummer die Gruppe gegründet hat, hat sich das wohl erledigt. :D

Michael Sadler covert Gabriel Genesis

Ich kann mich mal erinnern, dass er selbst mit seinem "Solsbury Hill"-Cover nicht so wirklich zufrieden war ;-).

Schade natürlich, dass das Ganze "nur" ein Cover-Projekt ist, auffallend ist aber selbst hier in den Schnipseln, wie gut Sadlers Stimme trotz seines Alters immer noch ist - gigantisch und so eigenständig.

Wundert mich ja, dass Mike Portnoy nicht am Start ist. Vielleicht hat er's ja versucht, aber da Jonathan Mover als Drummer die Gruppe gegründet hat, hat sich das wohl erledigt. :D

Naja, Neal Morse ist ja auch nicht am Start - von daher: mal eine andere "Supergroup" :D

Naja, ich muss sagen ich finde es eigentlich ganz angenehm das sie Cover machen, wer brauch schon die 1000. Frickel Prog Portnoy LTE Band wo nix hängen bleibt ausser 2 Refrains.
Vor allem da dass ja als Live Projekt geplant ist, könnte mir gut vorstellen das es Spass macht die grossen Klassiker von dieser Besetzung live zu sehen.

Michael Sadlers Stimme ist wirklich ein Phänomen, raucht seit 40 Jahren wie ein Schloth aber klingt noch wie 1981.

Also in der Besetzung könnten die Herren gerne eine handvoll Coversongs aufnehmen und über Bandcamp verkaufen.
Ich wäre zumindest dabei und dafür :)

Zurück
Oben Unten