What's Metal Radioshow - Das Interviewarchiv

Interview GOATH (German) (Goathammer) 2020 - Wer bedroht wen?

Wen der donnernde Erdrutsch von Goath schon mal ins Tal gerissen hat, hat einige Zeit damit zu tun, sich die Knochen wieder zu richten. Entsprechend clever haben wir uns mit dem Goathammer zusammengesetzt, bevor die seismischen Aktivitäten auf der Bühne ihren Anfang nahmen. Welch ein Gefühlsleben braucht man, um Death Metal zu spielen? Was löst dies beim Hörer aus? Und kann man dem etwas Positives abgewinnen? Das und mehr in diesem Interview aus dem Backstage in München, kurz bevor es mit Gigs wieder vorbei war.

Interview OBITUARY (Donald Tardy) 1997 - Goals left to reach?
We could squeeze in a couple of minutes with Donald Tardy during the 1997 Full of Hate Festival tour. Obituary were headlining and were "Back from the dead" after taking some time out of the touring and songwriting cycle. Who would have thought that the band indeed would break up some time after this tour (only to reform in 2004/2005).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2o_UKsZxE

Interview KHAOS (German) (Apu, Pudde, Oli) 2020 - (Un)Ordnung in Memmingen

Letztens waren wir im Scumlight Studio in Memmingen, einem Sammelplatz für einige der derzeit erfrischensten und relevantesten Extrem-Metal Bands des Landes. Eine der Geburten des Kollektivs, das dort sein Unwesen treibt, sind
KHAOS, welche mit impulsiven und dennoch durchdachten Death Metal-Ausbrüchen auf sich aufmerksam machen. Die Jungs sind es wert, gehört zu werden, und das nicht nur musikalisch. Im Nachgang fragt man sich jedoch, ob es nun so gut war, das Gespräch im schnasseligen Kopf erst weit nach Mitternacht zu führen. Aber letztlich ist es auch nüchtern betrachtet schwierig einzufangen, was derzeit in Memmingen und zwischen den Beteiligten vorgeht. Dem in seiner Gesamtheit gerecht zu werden, übersteigt ein einzelnes Gespräch und ist vermutlich auch schwierig in Worte zu fassen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWST4TmzuTQ&t=32s

Interview MALEVOLENT CREATION (Phil Fasciana) 1997 - The KKK incident (READ DESCRIPTION)

This interview was done spontaneously after the Malevolent Creation show Sep 1st 1997 in Germany (a text version was available on our old home page). Their reputation already damaged due to the controversy surrounding the track "They Breed" on the album Eternal, vocalist Jason Blachowicz and guitarist Rob Barret entered the stage of Zeche Carl in Essen (out of all places) in KKK shirts. Middle fingers were raised, some fans handed back merch they bought... We took the chance to talk to a seriously pissed off Phil afterwards. Our conversation went on after the "official" interview part and later things escalated between Phil and Jason on the tour bus. Please check the text below for context:
- The touring line up at the time was: Phil Fasciana (g), Jason Blachowicz (b, v), Rob Barret (g), Tony Laureano (d).
- The crosshairs/target Phil mentioned to be on Jason's shirt actually was the white supremacist version of a celtic cross on a KKK robe.
- Tony walked past us while we spoke about drummers. You can hear Phil addressing him at one point during the interview.
- The guy laughing in the background, asking for a copy of the interview and commenting on Chuck Schuldiner was from Sounds of Death (S.o.D.) Mag.
- Phil describes what happened later that night in this interview in Chronicles of Chaos (1998): (...) things came to a head last year while the band was on tour in Germany. "Jason was wearing a KKK shirt (on stage)." The result? "People started freaking out, throwing shit at him and flipping him off. I told him (before the show) that if he wore the shirt I'd fuckin' kill him, and when I left the venue, man, people were throwing bottles at me, we had all our merchandise returned, people were calling us "Nazis" and "scum", they wanted to fuckin' kick our ass!" As you might imagine, Phil didn't take this kindly; the result... "When I got onto the bus and he was fuckin' laughing about it, I fuckin' beat the living shit out of him." This would explain Jason's absence from Malevolent Creation. "When we got home, he quit. He couldn't live with the fact that I did that to him." Continuing on the subject of his former bandmate, Phil says: "The kid is fuckin' unstable, he does a lot of stupid things and says a lot of stupid things that in turn made me look like a fuckin' idiot, so the only way to resolve it was for me to punch his head in. And it worked and I haven't talked to him since." (http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/arti...)
- We spoke a bit more after the interview. Unfortunately, there is no audio for that part. However, we had that bit translated to German on our now defunct website. The following text is auto-translated back into English: "Thank you. This is really a shitty situation." I think the biggest problem is that the line “You fxxxing nxxxers!” is not printed in the booklet with the lyrics. So everyone must think that you want to keep it a secret. “Yes, that only happened in the studio, when the booklet was already finished. It was Jason's idea, it just sounded cooler. It has nothing to do with racism, I'm not a racist. I don't care about that. I am satisfied when I can relax a little while playing golf. But Jason and Rob can really be called racists. But they have a reason. There have been certain incidents, sad incidents that happened to them or their family members. Man, we live in Florida, if you drive into the wrong part of town you are playing with your life, you can easily perish there. It may be different here. Or take a look at the prison. 90% of all inmates are black! Do you understand?" It is not the color of the skin that is the reason. You better take a look at the position of black people in your society. Most of them are at the lower end. “You see, that's what I mean. I don't care, I don't worry about that. I'm happy when I can play a little golf to relax and don't have to worry about anything. "

Interview DESPERADOS (German) (Alex Kraft) 2000 - Metal con Morricone

Unser Revolverheld Kiwi liess sich im Jahr 2000 nicht beirren und bestand darauf, sich Alex von den Desperados mit dem Lasso zu schnappen. Tatsächlich hat sich die Truppe bis zum heutigen Tage gehalten und lädt regelmässig Patronen nach. Unbedarfte mögen den Western Metal der Outlaws als Verkaufsgimmick abtun. Dahinter steckt tatsächlich jedoch deutlich mehr, wie in diesem Gespräch aus den ganz frühen Tagen der Band deutlich wurde. Desperados (heute Dezperadoz) sind eine Herzensangelegenheit, bemüht um geschichtliche Authentiziät und zeigen überraschende Parallelen zwischen Tanz & Musik der Siedlerzeit und dem Metal auf. Und auch Ennio Morricone spielt eine ganz zentrale Rolle (R.I.P.). Feuer frei...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R3kEjOP1GM

Interview ANTHRAX (Scott Ian, Charlie Benante) 2004 - Discography retrospective

Let's start into the new year with an ANTHRAX (Scott Ian, Charlie Benante) interview, including their discography retrospective.
In 2004, Anthrax came for us all. Linked to their gig in Osnabrück, we arranged for a meet up to discuss recent activities and also to review the Anthrax back catalogue. Get ready for some exclusive insight and behind the scenes info.

Interview VITAL REMAINS (Tony Lazaro) 2005 - Hidden backward messages

This short audio file is all that is left from a longer interview with Tony Lazaro (Vital Remains) in Dublin 2005. While short, it provides some info on hidden backward messages to be found on the Dechristianize album. It therefore might nevertheless be interesting for some of you to hear it. We also take the opportunity to wish Tony all the best and a full recovery. He was struck hard last year, being diagnosed with a brain tumor and complications arising from its removal.

Interview OLD MAN'S CHILD (Galder) 1997 - First tour, bus chat

From their very first tour... We were prepared to interview Borknagar on tour with Sacramentum and Rotting Christ in 1997 when to our surprise we found out on site that they had been replaced with Old Man's Child, who were just about to release "The pagan prosperity". So we took the chance to sit down for an unprepared chat on the tour bus with Galder to get some basic info on the band for our listeners.

Interview SAXON (Biff Byford) 2001 - Touring metalheads

The Metalhead and Killing Ground albums were out and Saxon stopped on tour in our hometown to play the legendary Hyde Park. We hooked up with Biff to get the most important info on the latest activities, talked about work life balance and figured out what metal is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8L8zWqJAY

Interview TEXTURES (Dennis & Stef) 2006 - Streams of consciousness

After raising eyebrows with "Polars", the follow up "Drawing circles" made a trip to Textures' homeland unavoidable to see the band live and to grab them for a short interview. Besides information on the founding days of the band, we delved into the streams of consciousness that are grabbed and reflected in their second album. Any why the heck did the Germans not (yet) care about them at the time?
The band released three more well respected albums after this, before disbanding for personal reasons in 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTD9rXkQRjo

Interview KRABATHOR (Bruno) 1997 - The truth about lies

Who were the titans of east European death metal besides Vader? Krabathor! KRABATHOR were a death metal legend from the Czech Republik that already formed behind the iron curtain in the 80s. Obviously, Bruno had a lot of stories to tell also on their early days when we met them on tour with Groinchurn in 1997. Prior to being blown to pieces by their ultra intense live show, we sat down for a longer chat. You have the full version here, only part of this was aired on OS Radio back then.

Interview UNLEASHED (Johnny Hedlund) 2004 - Born and raised metal

After an impressive live show at Wacken Open Air 2004, we took aside a relaxed Johnny Hedlund for a spontaneous chat about the band, its ideals and foundation. Unleashed are a
band that never wimped out and still fly the Swedish death metal flag proud until today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUfZnEsbAv4

Interview OLD SEASON (Nails, Mats, Dermot) 2006 - Irish Epic Metal Kings

From the ashes of Karnayna came OLD SEASON to impress audiences in Ireland and beyond with their unique blend of traditional, doom and epic metal. On a cold and wet February evening, we met in Ciaran "Nails" O'Neill's gaff in the Dublin Liberties for a hot whiskey and a chat. Time to grab their "Volume I" record off the shelf and give it a spin.

Interview GROINCHURN (Mark Chapman) 1997 - Six times Grind

First time in Europe, promoting their pummeling debut SixTimesNine, Groinchurn couldn't escape our microphone after leaving us speechless by the sheer intensity of their live performance. Mostly unprepared and spontaneous, we managed to capture a couple of minutes with Mark on the last bit of tape we had left that night. Make sure to familiarize with this lot! By the way, the reunited in 2019!

Interview CEPHALIC CARNAGE (John Merryman) 2003 - Hydro-Grind & pre-gig warm ups

We stumbled over John (Cephalic Carnage) at the backstage army barracks at the infamous Fuck the Commerce open air in Germany in 2003. Enjoying the sun, we took a couple of minutes to have a spontaneous chat about the band history, the impact of the Denver area and herbal paraphernalia on the band's songwriting and how to warm up for a live show. The band have not released any new material since 2010 but are still active live occasionally.

Interview BORKANGAR (Øystein & Simen) 1998 - From the beginning (in-depth)

Borknagar supported Cradle of Filth, Napalm Death and Krisiun during the 1998 tour in support of The Archaic Course. Øystein was so kind to invite us into the tour bus for this interview, which spans across the very early days or the band (then a project) up until the latest release. Simen joined in mid way, so we squeezed in an Arcturus related question as well. It is interesting to listen back to this today, seeing what has become of the band over the years. Especially the last two records really lived up to the quality of the early releases.

Interview ANATA (Fredrik Schälin) 2006 - Sharing their misery

Anyone remember Anata? Excellent Swedish death metal with a technical edge in their later days. This quickie is well suited to introduce you to the band. Done in 2006, they were playing shows to support their latest release "The conductor's departure". Up until today, the band have not released any new material (yet). Rumors have it that an additional album has been recorded. So maybe we'll be able to hear it one day...

Interview PRIMORDIAL (AA Nemtheanga) 2000 - First and foremost, we are Irish...

This is the first interview feature with Primordial we ever did on the show. We sat down with Alan to have a brief chat to introduce the band and the Irish scene to our listeners. In addition, Alan reveals which of their shows were the best ever and the worst ever. Lean back and listen.

Interview BLIND GUARDIAN (German) (Andre & Markus) 2006 - Kein Twist, viel Mist

Mit Galopp in die Nesseln setzten sich Blind Guardian mit "A twist in the myth", zumindest bei uns. Zum Interviewzeitpunkt konnten wir die Scheibe nur einmal kurz hören, bevor nach ein Paar Kannen Karlsquell Andre und Markus zum Gespräch bereit standen. Bei gebotener Skepsis konnten die beiden zumindest überzeugend erläutern, wie es kompositorisch zu der Scheibe kommen konnte. Und wie kommt es eigentlich, dass es bei den Jungs bis zum heutigen Tage weder Starallüren noch Skandale gab? Und wo stecken die ehemaligen Mitglieder aus Demotagen (noch unter dem Namen Lucifer's Heritage) heute?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Interview SANITY'S DAWN (German) (Prändy & Topsy) 2000 - Grindcore-Lust & Magenduft

Sanity's Dawn machten sich Ender der 90er und in den frühen 2000ern einen Namen in der deutschen Grindcore Szene. Neben dem musikalischen Output trugen hierzu auch die intensiven und unverkrampften sympathisch-humoristisch angehauchten Live Shows bei. Wir konnten die Band zuvor schon mehrfach bewundern und hatten schließlich im Aussendienst in Hannover die Chance, ein Gespräch zu führen. Natürlich geht es hier um Grindcore, Magendüfte und Kühlschränke, was sonst... Übrigens treiben die Bengel auch heute noch ihr Unwesen.

Zurück
Oben Unten