It's time to testify: THE MC5

Klaus

Till Deaf Do Us Part
Brothers and Sisters! I want to see a sea of hands out there!
Let me see a sea of hands! I want everyone to kick up some noise!
I want to hear some revolution out there Brothers!
I want to hear a little revolution!
Brothers and Sisters, the time has come for each and every one of you to decide whether you are going to be the problem or whether you are going to be the solution! (That's right!)
You must choose Brothers, you must choose!
It takes five seconds, five seconds of decision, five seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet!
It takes five seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it!
Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know, are you ready to testify?
Are you ready? I give you a testimonial: the MC5!

(J.C. Crawford - MC5's Minister Of Information)

MC5_Airport2_CharlieAuringer_750-750x500.jpg

Erstaunlicherweise gibt es in diesem Forum noch kein Thread über MC5. Also werde ich das mal schnell nachholen. Gegründet wurde die Band im Jahr 1964 unter dem Namen BOUNTY HUNTERS in Lincoln Park, Detroit. Die erste Single erschien 1967 auf AMG Records. Auf der A-Seite befindet sich das THEM-Cover 'I Can Only Give You Everything', auf der B-Seite die Eigenkomposition 'One Of The Guys'. Während dieser Zeit perfektionierte die Band ihren harten, energiegeladenen Rock 'n' Roll. Der schwarze Jazz und der harte Funk von James Brown waren aber auch ein wichtiger, früher Einfluss. So sieht man auf dem Cover der zweiten 7" ein grosses Foto von John Coltrane. Diese Single erschien 1968 und wurde von A-Square Records (ansässig in Ann Arbor, MI) veröffentlicht. Die beiden Eigenkompositionen 'Looking At You' und 'Borderline' befinden sich auf der A und B-Seite.

wayne-kramer-mc5.jpg

Das Debutalbum 'Kick Out The Jams' wurde von Elektra im Jahr 1969 veröffentlicht. Es besteht aus Aufnahmen von zwei Konzerten der MC5 aus dem Jahr 1968 im legendären Grande Ballroom. Kurz nach dem Erscheinen wurde das Album von Elektra zensiert. Ende der 1960er Jahre wurde die Band vom FBI beobachtet, da sie u.a. mit der Black Panther Party sympathisierte und aufgrund dessen die White Panther Party gründete. Ihr damaliger Manager John Sinclair spielte dabei eine grosse Rolle, aber mit dieser politischen Entwicklung war die Band nicht immer ganz glücklich, da ihnen die Musik wichtiger war. Sinclair ging 1969 wegen dem Besitz von zwei Joints für 9 1/2 Jahre ins Gefängnis. Außerdem löste Elektra den Vertrag mit MC5, da es heftige Kontroversen wegen der 'Fuck Hudson's' Kampagne gab. Hudson's war ein gigantisches Kaufhaus im damaligen Detroit und die Inhaber weigerten sich, das Debut 'Kick Out The Jams' in die Regale zu stellen, auch nicht in der zensierten Version. MC5 reagierten mit einer ganzseitigen Anzeige im Argus, wo neben dem Logo von Elektra Records auch folgender Text stand: "KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERFUCKER! and kick in the door if the store won't sell the album on Elektra. FUCK HUDSON'S!" Als Reaktion schmiss Hudson's alle Elektra-Platten aus dem Programm, was wiederum dazu führte, dass Elektra den Vertrag mit MC5 auflöste. Und das kurz nach der Veröffentlichung des Debuts.

3580.jpg

Danach unterzeichnete die Band einen Vertrag mit Atlantic Records. 1970 erschien die LP 'Back In The USA', welche zwar nicht mehr so brachial und politisch war wie das erste Album, aber den Weg des High-Enery Rock weiterverfolgte. Gerade auch für den Punk war das Album extrem wichtig. Im gleichen Jahr ging die Band erstmals auf Europatour, wo sie unter anderem auf dem Phun City Festival auftraten. 1971 veröffentlichte Atlantic Records das dritte und letzte Album 'High Time'. 'High Time' ist die perfekte Symbiose aus dem ersten und zweiten Album. Die Texte waren zum Teil wieder politischer und die Songs wurden etwas komplexer. 1972 gingen MC5 auf ihre zweite Europatour, die in einem Desaster enden sollte. Zuerst stieg Bassist Michael Davis aus, dann Schlagzeuger Dennis Thompson und Sänger Rob Tyner. Anfang 1973 zerbrach die Band dann völlig, zermürbt und desillusioniert. Rob Tyner starb 1991, Fred 'Sonic' Smith folgte ihm 1994 und Michael Davis verstarb 2012.

Das Video vom Tartar Field aus dem Jahr 1970 ist ein ausgezeichnetes Dokument, da es die Dynamik und
Energie der MC5 wunderbar eingefangen hat:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Wayne Kramer bringt dieses Jahr ein neues Album unter dem Namen MC5 raus. Für mich persönlich der grösste Etikettenschwindel seit es das Wort Etikettenschwindel gibt. Anscheinend ist auch der ehemalige Schlagzeuger Dennis Thompson bei zwei Songs zu hören. Es gibt schon einen Teaser für einen neuen Song namens 'Heavy Lifting'. Im Mai gibt es dann auch noch ein paar Konzerte in den USA.

Vielleicht wird es sogar ein gutes Album, denn die Soloalben von Wayne Kramer mag ich sehr. Aber dafür den Namen MC5 zu exhumieren find ich mies. In den zurückliegenden Jahren war man da auch sensibler - es gab DKT-MC5 (als Michael Davis noch lebte) und 2018 MC50.

Mehr Infos findet man hier.

Ein berührender Post von Daragh von Dungeon und Inhuman Nature zum Tod von Kramer:

"
‘We didn’t want to entertain people, we wanted to destroy them’.

From the moment I heard Rob Tyner scream KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKERS, the MC5 took permanent spiritual residence in me. But it would be some years until I really got them. That came with ‘Want You Right Now’. Sometimes music sits stewing in you for years until the fucker finally cooks and you can enjoy it properly for the masterful dish it is. MC5 always took the backseat after the Stooges for me. But when it all finally clicked, ‘Want You Right Now’ kicking it off, I was hooked. I devoured that song over and over in single sittings. Still do.
A typical night at Bruce’s - Bruce handling the party, instructing us ‘put on whatever you want’ from his vast vinyl collection. Off my nut, I’d go straight to ‘Want You Right Now’. In that cramped cave of a living room, at 5 or so in the morning, totally twisted, this is all I wanted to hear. I sat there, brutalised by the monstrous, neanderthal riffs. Two years after the Summer of Love called, this was how the MC5 responded. Imagine trying to put a flower in your hair as Brother Wayne Kramer and Fred Sonic Smith beat you around the head with THOSE RIFFS while Tyner WAILED those braindead-lust proclamations. Like Pig Champion said, fuck that burned out hippie shit. This, and the Stooges, was the end of that 60s bullshit. This was the sound of industrial Detroit, of revolutionary punks and hot heavy metal drag racers. Nothing touches that song. It still sounds as dazed yet writhing, aching, violent, aggressive and heavy as it must have done then.
And that’s what got me enthralled by Wayne Kramer. His uncouth, caveman-genius riffs, the dirty, primitive sexuality. It wasn’t the hollow cockrock pretension and pomp of Zeppelin and the like. While the 5’s leads and arrangements often strove for sophistication, it was really just streetlevel grime. Proto-punk. De-fucking-troit. Fuck Jimmy Page, I couldn’t/can’t/won’t relate to him. But Wayne was one of us. An unrefined rock n roll barbarian. I can’t fully emphasise how much his destroy-not-entertain line means to me.
Another soundbite that deeply resonates, circa 1966: ’I had been experimenting with new sounds on the guitar, feedback and distortion. I discovered feedback for myself when I set my guitar down at rehearsal with the volume up and left the room. I heard this unholy howling sound coming from the basement, and then a crash. A jar of nails sitting on a shelf had vibrated off and broken on the floor. I told the guys, “I’ve discovered the power to change the universe: feedback”’.
Many of us owe MC5 and especially Wayne a sizeable debt. Over the years he would come to have greater and greater influence on my style and playing, way after I was obliviously, subconsciously following the riff path he had laid down decades before. His politics too - MC5 were the only band who played the Chicago Democratic Convention, in the midst of the police riots. They had national guard tanks outside their homes during the Detroit riots. Kramer hated power right into his final years. The prologue to his book ‘The Hard Stuff’ opens with his memories of the Bell Isle police riot of 1967. Of all his misadventures, summits and gutter moments, his entire rock and roll journeyman life, he chose to open his autobiography with this terrifying vision of state violence. At the very end of the book he takes stock of his life, success, failure, and how he created most of the hurt in his life. But not all of it - he fits in a condemnation of the war on drugs in the final paragraphs. He then closes: ‘I still live in the tension between the angel and the beast, and that is my lot as human. This struggle will continue until the day I depart. Mine has been a painful and beautiful experience, and I wouldn’t change any of it, even if I could.’
These days, it’s more important than ever to dig in and get dumber. Everyone wants to over intellectualise every aspect of existence. So I got nuthin smart to say about simplicity or stupidity. Just let your heart vibrate with the Eternal Cacophony of Wayne’s riffs. Don’t think, just feel. Let your senses be bludgeoned. Everything that can’t ever be taught is already known. That’s rock n roll. That’s the MC5. That’s Brother Wayne Kramer.
He rests forever in power. "

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Zurück
Oben Unten