Viel zu wenig Maiden hier... der IRON MAIDEN-Thread

1d3b0e3b8e7d60cfa0d5c26669d0dd007342ef32.jpeg

Stratego kam bei dieser Kritik gut weg. Ist von Harris/Gers.

Aus Loudwire: Stratego
And, finally, all that tension has been erased! A yearning lead and a steady gallop helps make things feel more familiar.

This has a dark, cloaked rider kind of feel (ironically, this visual dominated the video for “The Writing on the Wall”). There’s no mistaking it — this is a Gers co-write, evidenced by him playing the vocal melody on guitar underneath Bruce. There’s some sort of vocal effect here and, actually, it works quite well with Janick’s lead tone.

I love the chorus teaser — the concussive blasts have you convinced Bruce’s voice is gonna spread its wings… but it’s cut off quick and back to the gallop we go for another couple rounds and some drawn out chords and, finally, that big chorus payoff.

This reminds me a lot of “Ghost of the Navigator” the way they play around with the pre-chorus/chorus/post-chorus bits. That was a Harris/Gers track too, but with added help from Dickinson. Janick continues to bring forth some of Maiden’s best material.

The keys, that same shrill effect from the title track, help give this a big, big Dance of Death vibe.

The Lyrics:

“How do you read a madman’s mind / Teach me the art of war / For I shall bring more than you bargained for” — Surprisingly, the operatic Dickinson is completely laid back singing this part, as if the battle has already been won, or, more likely, perhaps, he sticks to the notion of the “eye of the storm,” which is mentioned in the chorus. It feels like the eye after that swirling storm that was “Senjutsu.”

No references to the best-in-class ‘Stratego’ board game either. At least, not that I could tell. That’s probably a good thing. There’s more history and culture to mine before turning to games intended for children ages 8-15 for lyrical fodder.

The Verdict:

There’s not many short songs on here and, fortunately, this one is great. Just because Maiden’s songs are longer these days doesn’t mean they can’t still pull off these quick-hit tracks with maximum replay value.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Zurück
Oben Unten