King Crimson

Soeben aus dem krämerladen mitgehen lassen:
6o050nG.jpg

Hier der Interessante Essay von Robert Fripp über Bootlegs, der auf dem links abgebildeten Bootleg hinten drauf ist:
Bootlegging, Royalties and the Moment
by Robert Fripp
There are two sides to bootlegging: professional and amateur. I recognize that at its real level music belongs to everyone. In fact, the ownership of music is a fairly recent phenomenon. It began in the 19th century, and was firmed up in the 20th by the Copyright Act of 1911, the formation of the PRS in 1914, the Composer's Guild (straight) in 1944, the Songwriters' Guild (popular) in 1947 and the Copyright Act of 1956. All these reinforced the notion of music as personal property; this is our market background.

Given that background, if money is to be made by the sale of my work then I wish to receive my share of it. All of the sex scenes in "Emanuelle" feature music lifted from "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part II." Following a lengthy legal action, my rights as composer have been acknowledged and a settlement made out of court. The implication that receiving royalties for one's work is inherently bad I find very queer and somehow peculiarly English. I espouse, through the Drive to 1981, "Action in the market place but not governed by the value of the market place." This presents all the dilemmas regarding money that any sane soul might need. Having lived in the States, I've seen some of the contradictions of a commercial culture, the other side of the famed "American Dream." And I'm familiar with Proudhon's "property is theft," communalistic philosophy and praxis, and some of the arguments of the Leveller, Ranter and Digger movements of the 17th century -- all reactions against our widespread belief in the sanctity of private property.

Facing all the hazardous contradictions borne by that sanctity, the real issue is surely: what might one do with one's royalties? The principle I follow is that proprietary advantage involves proprietary responsibility; that is, if one makes more money that one needs, there is an opportunity to use it socially. Different religions traditionally recommend giving 10 to 15% of one's income to charities; the church tithe was compulsary; our tax system is supposed to enforce the proprietary responsibility, by involuntarily redistributing income more equally than it is divvied up, willy-nilly, by market forces. I recognize that different kinds of people want -- and therefore feel they "need" -- different standards of living, and that mine is higher than some and lower than others. The wide difference between class levels seems queer, the exploitation and social pretension ot involves is offensive.

What I've chosen to do is to support a farming project in Cornwall, an adult education experiement in the States and a naturopathic hospital in England. The hospital is bankrupt, the farm and school are in serious trouble. The League of Gentlemen has a deficit of $30,000; my house has no hot water and the rain leaks through the roof; and, keep in mind, I wish to remain financially independent of the industry so that my musical choices remain personal and musical. And then there are those concert-goers and record-buyers and ideologues and "fans" who criticize artists who seek full royalty payment for their work and who try to halt exploitation of same by profiteering bootleggers. Forgive me but I find their posture exasperatingly naive.

Conversely, I have great sympathy for amateur bootleggers. With them, enthusiasm for the music is the motive. After all, are not the best Charlie Parker tracks live bootlegs? I also know quite a few performers who don't mind, such as the Instant Automatons in England who have gone so far as to provide a facility wherein audience members may hookup their cassette recorders to the hall's mix-board. Admirable, but not for me. My views are generally known to my audience; to bring a recorder is a deliberate violation of the ground rules, at best a violation of courtesy: it's rather like taking notes of a personal conversation to circulate of publish later. This from someone who's been a steady fixture on bootleg lists for over seven years.

Now we come to the humanistic and philosophical reasons why I oppose the furtive taping of live music. I am seeking the quality of attention, of being in the moment without expectation and without history, the moment between the human being and the human animal behavioral psychology so terrifyingly describes. As Blake put it, "He who bends himself a joy/Does the winged life destroy." Experiencing a piece of music repeatedly in an active state has its own qualities and merits. On tape, music is music: good, bad, lively, lethargic, spirited or whatever. In live performance, the music is still music there is another element: the music mediates a relationship between the player and the listener. This relationship is fragile and easily spoilt. To try to pin it down desrupts it, much like writing down one's thoughts during a meditation significantly disrupts the very process of meditation. For some players, this presents no difficulties, as with cameras, but it does for me. After all the years and miles I've covered with music, I've fully realized the significance of of the relationship between player and listener; what in music could be more primary, more valuable? To experience a piece of music once and only once is to experience that relationship in its most crystalline form. It cannot be repeated: how many times can one lose one's virginity?

"This will prove a brave kingdom to me,
Where I shall have my music for nothing."
- Shakespeare, _The Tempest_

This article originally appeared in Musician magazine, circa 1979.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Wie ist denn die 40th anniversary von "Lark's Tongues in Aspic"? Sowohl bei der CD als auch der Vinyl Version die ich habe, meine ich zeitweilig Übersteuerungen wahrnehmen zu können die nicht sein müssten. Ist da beim Steven Wilson Mix nachgebessert worden?

Wie ist denn die 40th anniversary von "Lark's Tongues in Aspic"? Sowohl bei der CD als auch der Vinyl Version die ich habe, meine ich zeitweilig Übersteuerungen wahrnehmen zu können die nicht sein müssten. Ist da beim Steven Wilson Mix nachgebessert worden?

Jetzt hab ich sie mir raubkopiert. Ja ist so. Bei easy money ganz klar zu hören. Weniger Clipping.

[x] bestellt

Auch ein wunderbares Ambient-Release von David Sylvian. Eine Kompilation mehrere Installationsbeschallungen. Einmal dann auch wieder mit Bob Fripp:

david_sylvian_approaching_silence.jpg

Happy Birthday King Crimson :)

Für mich einer ihrer großartigsten Songs, wenn auch nur von Gustav Holst gestohlen.

Gestern hat es mich dann doch gepackt. Ich hatte erst die Sailors' Tales Box vorbestellt und dann nach ein paar Tagen nachdenken wieder storniert. Zu der Zeit habe ich mein Geld anders investieren wollen.
Ich habe jetzt doch noch zugegriffen, nach wochenlangem liebäugeln und hin und her...
Die Band entwickelt sich neben Hawkwind wohl doch so langsam zu meiner großen Liebe.

Gerade läuft hier die Lizard. Verstehe garnicht warum die etwas unter dem Radar läuft. Mir taugt das hier im Büro gerade ziemlich - Noise Cancelling + King Crimson. Besser als die lästigen Labereien der Kollegen zu hören. Da kann man schön abtauchen.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Gibt wie erwartet Zusatzshows:

Deutschlandtermine der King Crimson 2018 European Tour:

20. Juni 2018 – ESSEN, Lichtburg
21. Juni 2018 – ESSEN, Lichtburg (Zusatzshow)

01. Juli 2018 – BERLIN, Admiralspalast
02. Juli 2018 – BERLIN, Admiralspalast (Zusatzshow)
03. Juli 2018 – BERLIN, Admiralspalast (Zusatzshow)

16. Juli 2018 – MÜNCHEN, Philharmonie
17. Juli 2018 – MÜNCHEN, Philharmonie (Zusatzshow)

Mein neustes Kind im Stall:

618ikl7MUwL._SX466_.jpg

2xCD. Ein schönes, kraftvolles Konzert aus der aggressiven Doppeltrio-Phase um Thrak. Mit Bruford.

Übrigens erscheinen am 30.03. mehrer (!) Live in Tokyo 1995 CDs im Collector's Club. Fünf oder sechs. Details sind noch keine bekannt.

King Crimson
Live in Vienna, December 1st: 2016 (triple cd pre-order)

A triple CD set featuring King Crimson's complete concert from Vienna on Dec. 1st 2016, mixed from the original multi-track tapes.

The CDs are presented in concert sequence with discs 1 and 2 featuring the complete first and second sets. CD 3 features the Vienna encores plus the long awaited live recorded debut of Fracture by the 2016 line-up as performed in Copenhagen. CD3 additionally features a series of Soundscapes edited into newly sequenced pieces. Drawn from the introduction music (composed/improvised afresh for each night) and featuring Robert Fripp, Mel Collins and Tony Levin, essential component of current KC shows receives its most complete presentation to date.

As always, King Crimson continues to re-invent and re-imagine both itself and its music

Presented in a 4 fold-out digifile package in a slipcase, with 16 page booklet featuring tour photos and notes by David Singleton.

Pre-order for 6th April release.

Die ProjeKcts-Box ist jetzt auch endlich mal in meinen Besitz gewandert zu einem vernünftigen Preis. Freut mich sehr.

Die ProjeKcts-Box ist jetzt auch endlich mal in meinen Besitz gewandert zu einem vernünftigen Preis. Freut mich sehr.

Ganz großartig ist ProjeKct Four. Schön, zwischen Fripp-Leads, drönenden Riffs und trippigem Ambient. Könnte mein favorisiertes ProjeKct werden neben ProjeKct X, das allerdings schon Krachverhältnisse von Thrakattak und den Live-Impros zu dieser Zeit knackt.

Zurück
Oben Unten